The medicinal properties of chamomile date back to the ancient Egyptians and Greeks who revered it as a potent natural healer. It's health benefits are extraordinary and it is commonly used by many for its ability to calm and soothe. Some of the most notable advantages of chamomile include:
- It's a natural relaxant, which aids peaceful sleep and muscle relaxation.
- It soothes an upset stomach, assists in digestion and in some cases may aid irritable bowel syndrome.
- When the early warning signs of a migraine appear, chamomile may ease some of the symptoms including nausea and head pain.
- It boosts the immune system and may help to treat the common cold.
- It's a powerful antioxidant, which helps to fight inflammation in the body and prevent disease.
- It may ease menstrual cramps.
- It helps to lower stress and reduce anxiety.
Recently we discovered the wonderfully soothing Chamomile Peace Tea created by Naturopath and Herbalist Anthia Koullouros from OVViO Organic Health and Lifestyle Store. It's a delicious blend of chamomile and fragrant lavender flowers and we highly recommend it. Now that winter is slowly creeping in, it's the best time to stock up on some yummy organic teas and enjoy a cup at any point during the day.
Please note that women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their doctor prior to consuming chamomile.